Finding Reliable, Long-Term Sinus Headache Relief
March 13, 2020
Reviewed by Michael Kaplan, MD
At Kaplan Sinus Relief, we recognize that there are many reasons a patient might begin searching for how to get rid of a sinus headache. Perhaps you’ve woken up to yet another sinus headache in the morning. Perhaps you’re living day in and day out with a sinus headache that won’t go away.
Most likely, your reasons for seeking sinus headache relief extend beyond the pain of a sinus headache. Many of our patients are fed up with how sinus headaches keep them from going to work, being with others, and enjoying life.
Dr. Michael Kaplan and the team at Kaplan Sinus Relief have helped countless Houstonians find sinus headache relief and freedom from chronic sinus issues. Let us help you explore potential means of how to get rid of a sinus headache—either at home or with treatment.
Sinus headache causes
All sinus headaches are caused by the inflammation of the tissue lining your sinus cavities. When your sinuses become inflamed, they both create excess mucus and take up more space in your sinus cavities, resulting in the buildup of pressure.
This means that when doctors talk about finding the cause of your sinus headache, they’re actually talking about finding what has caused your sinuses to become inflamed.
The top causes of sinus inflammation include:
- Sinusitis (Sinus Infections)
Patients with sinus headaches may struggle with one more of these issues. For example, one patient may have bad sinus headaches just when hay fever seasons rolls around, while another may get sinus headaches when they are struggling with both a mold allergy and frequent sinus infections.
Other sinus issues such as deviated septum and the presence of nasal polyps also increase your likelihood of experiencing sinus headaches and sinusitis.
What does a sinus headache feel like?
If you’re looking for sinus headache relief, it’s wise to make sure that your sinuses are the actual cause of your pain. But how can you tell the difference between a sinus headache and migraine? What about the difference between an everyday headache and a sinus headache?
Besides visiting your doctor, the best way to make sure your headache is a sinus headache is to check your symptoms against the top 10 sinus headache symptoms. These include:
- Congestion and/or runny nose
- Pressure, sensitivity, redness, or swelling around the sinuses, including your forehead, cheeks, and brows, and the bridge of your nose
- Increased pain when bending over
- Increased pain in the mornings (from fluid buildup)
- Pressure and aches in your upper teeth
- Yellow/greenish mucus (indicates sinus infection)
- Fever (indicates sinus infection)
FAQ: Can you have a sinus headache without being congested?
It is very unlikely that you will have a sinus headache if you are not congested. Severe headaches unaccompanied by congestion are more likely to be migraines. Speak with your doctor if you believe the cause of your headaches has been misdiagnosed.
Sinus headache home remedies
When you’ve established what is causing your sinus headache (and whether or not you have a sinus headache or another type of headache) you and your ENT have a better chance of getting you effective, long-term sinus relief.
So, how do you release sinus pressure? How do you get rid of a sinus headache fast? Depending on the cause of your sinus inflammation, you may find relief with any of the following practices/tools:
- Hydrate: Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Hydration helps thin out your mucus, which makes it easier for it to drain from your sinuses.
- Humidify: Is the air in your home or workplace dry? If so, using a humidifier can also help thin your mucus and lessen congestion.
- Use a saline spray: Saline sprays can help prevent your sinuses from drying out.
- Use a Neti pot: These devices help irrigate and clean out the sinuses. Water used in Neti pots must be sterilized in order to avoid complications.
- Apply a warm compress: This tried and true method can help open up your sinuses and provide you with some pain relief.
- Use OTC medications carefully: OTC decongestants and antihistamines can be very helpful in providing sinus headache relief. However, if overused or used incorrectly, they can actually make sinus problems worse.
- Clean: Make your home as allergen-free as possible so that your sinuses get a break when you’re at home. Keep pets out of the bedroom, dust regularly, make sure fabrics (carpets, curtains, blankets) are kept clean, and shower when you get home.
How to get rid of a sinus headache permanently
Patients who get a sinus headache only every now and then and patients who respond well to the above home remedies may be content to stop their search for sinus headache relief there.
But if you suffer from chronic sinus headaches and/or chronic sinus infections, you know that no matter how many times you vacuum the rug, take a decongestant, or turn on the humidifier, a potential sinus headache is always lurking in the eaves.
While no procedure can guarantee that it will get rid of sinus headaches permanently, balloon sinuplasty in Houston offers patients some of the greatest potential for long-term sinus headache relief. That’s why more and more patients searching for how to get rid of a sinus headache are finding their way to Kaplan Sinus Relief.
Balloon sinuplasty is a non-invasive, in-office procedure during which your ENT inflates a small, endoscopic balloon within your sinus cavities, restoring proper drainage and providing sinus headache relief. Unlike traditional sinus surgeries, balloon sinuplasty doesn’t require the cutting of bone or tissue, meaning most patients recover quickly and are able to return to regular activities 24–48 hours post-op.
The procedure typically lasts less than 20 minutes and has a 95% success rate. Kaplan Sinus Relief offers the additional services of TGS Navigation for optimized safety and IV sedation for patients who are anxious about medical procedures.
Long-term sinus headache relief at Kaplan Sinus Relief
At Kaplan Sinus Relief, we regularly encounter patients who are near their wits’ end searching for sinus headache relief. We never like to see anyone struggling to figure out how to get rid of a sinus headache, and we are proud to have helped so many Houstonians breathe easier again with treatment.
If you’re fed up with sinus headaches and are searching for sinus headache relief, we encourage you to meet with Dr. Kaplan and discuss your symptoms and treatment options. Dr. Kaplan can help you determine the best strategies for finding effective, long-term sinus relief.
Should you be an ideal candidate for balloon sinuplasty, you can rest assured that your procedure will be performed by one of the leading balloon sinuplasty doctors in the country. Dr. Kaplan has pioneered the balloon sinuplasty treatment and regularly teaches ENTs all over the country about balloon sinuplasty best practices.
Your long search for how to get rid of a sinus headache can end today. Ready for sinus headache relief? Contact Kaplan Sinus Relief by calling 713-766-1818 or contacting us online today.
More Helpful Articles by Kaplan Sinus Relief